Monday, June 7, 2010

Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head.......

When my daughter, Stephanie, was about sixteen, I played the piano for a kids choir that she sang in.  It was directed by Iva Albright, who died a few years ago.  She was an amazing woman.  The little choir she directed had about 25 students and they were pretty good.  They sang at Opry Land one year and that was a fun trip for us.  We stayed at the Opry  Land Hotel and all expenses were paid!  Of course there were many rehearsals prior to this trip. 

One evening, before rehearsal, Steph and I went to eat at Mercado's.  I wore a long sleeved shirt and a denim straight skirt that was to my ankles.  You have to understand....that was the style back then. While we were there it started to rain.  Since we didn't have our umbrellas with us, when time came to leave, we had to make a run for it.  Stephanie was the first one to the car and I was close behind her.  It was hard to run in a straight skirt. 

When I reached the car and unlocked it, I put my right foot in first.  Because my skirt was straight, my other leg slipped out from under me and down I went.  Flat on my back with raindrops falling in my face.  It happened so fast that it took a second for me to realize I'm laying on my back in the rain.

At the same time that happened, Stephanie was opening the door to get in.  One minute she saw me and the next minute she was wondering where I went!  I was no where in sight......until she saw my foot in the floorboard.  Of course she started laughing and laughing and laughing!  Leaving me flat on my back in the rain never occurred to her.  Hellur....Steph, help your mother and make sure she's okay!  Nope, she just laughed her head off.  A man and woman, who were leaving at the same time we were, saw me fall and ran over to help me.  They looked at Stephanie like she was the meanest brat they'd ever seen.  That in it's self was hilarious!

After I pulled myself together we headed to rehearsal.  I was drenched and sore and embarrassed and I was laughing hysterically.  Every time Stephanie and I looked at each other we laughed until we cried.....literally!

From that point forward I never...ever....ran in the rain again.  Yesterday........Stephanie did!  You'll have to ask her what happened!  Lessons are hard to learn sometimes!

No comments: