Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Butch Cassidy................


In my criminal years, I managed to pass as a precious 7 year old girl.  I began my career as a bonafide thief as early as 5 and by age 8 I was completely rehabilitated.  I now live as a normal, trustworthy citizen.

One incident I remember vividly, just like it was yesterday......it haunts me even now.  My grandparents, who were pastors of a little church I often write about, had a dog named Butch.  I played with him every time I was at their house and considered him to be my best friend.  He was a sweet and loving pet.   Little did I know, Butch would be the one to take me down!  It was for my own good, I realize now, but at the time I accused him of being a traitor.  Here's the story.

One Sunday morning after church I was invited to spend the afternoon with one of my friends.  She had the cutest Barbie doll I'd ever seen.  You see, I didn't have many Barbie's back then.  I mostly had baby dolls.  As we were leaving for the evening service, I packed my play clothes and carefully wrapped Barbie up in them.  After hearing my Granddaddy preach that night I began to feel conviction.  By the time we got in the car to head home, the kidnapped Barbie became a flaming reminder of my sin.

When we got to my grandmother's house and everyone had gone in, I lingered long enough to dispose of the body.  My trusted friend and playmate, Butch, must have seen me when I threw Barbie over the fence.  I think he must have been on to me because.......

The next morning....relieved to have destroyed the evidence of yet another crime, I was off to school.  What I learned from this experience was "Crime does NOT pay!"  When I got home, my mother confronted me with a gnarled up Barbie that Butch Cassidy retrieved, chewed up and turned in to the authorities!  It was then that I realized the dog could not be trusted.  May he rest in peace!..........

No comments: